Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 16:50:40 -0700

On 2/24/18, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> I do not discuss your needs.

not sure what you mean by this.  i was replying to your statements
about your usage and the global mark ring.

>It isn't crazy at all, and works surprising well in practice.

to make sure we are on the same page:

we seem to be discussing the removal of a feature.  this feature is
not redundant.

key example:

in org maint, i can click on a link and, without any cognitive
overhead, and with certainty, run a command to get back to the link i
clicked on.  to me this seems like basic hypertext ability, such as
you might find in info or the back button on firefox.

i think your change will make this "back button" behavior as stated in
the previous paragraph impossible.  please correct me if that is not
true.

[for the bug that seems to have prompted your proposal, we could be
discussing pushing to the global and local mark rings.  but this does
not seem to be what we are discussing.]

you have suggested filing a bug report against emacs.  but the emacs
behavior is ancient.  emacs-devel is conservative.  emacs changing
does not seem much more likely than every nation on earth switching to
english as its official language tomorrow.

a wrapper to the global mark ring that makes you go to the exact
location, plus a backward and forward ability, would be good.
however, i am not aware of such a thing.

thank you for engaging.