Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:04:00 +0100

Bastien Guerry writes:
>> Why do we need it? If it is mandatory (I fail to see why, since we
>> provide the source of the info file), can we include it read-only?
>
> It is mandatory, as long as the GNU standard for documentation is to
> provide it as a .texi file.

It can always be generated for the Emacs export.  But it should cease to
exist in the Git repo since it becomes a derivative of manual.org.

> I don't think providing it read-only is a good idea: people should be
> able to edit it and provide patches against it, even though we prefer
> to encourage patches against manual.org.

No, I'd strongly discourage that and accept such edits only in
exceptional cases.  If the source file is manual.org, all patches or
other changes need to be against the source.  You wouldn't accept
patches to the PDF of the manual or any such thing, do you?

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: