Re: [O] BeOrg

From: Ilya Shlyakhter
Subject: Re: [O] BeOrg
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 14:48:41 -0500

>as GNU software, we should not suggest to use non-free software

But, clearly, we already do: suggesting to use MobileOrg necessarily
suggests to use iOS.

Besides, some of the main critiques of non-free software do not apply
here: e.g. beorg doesn't lock the user into some proprietary format.
And while it may be unethical to lure unsophisticated computer users
into freedom-relinquishing decisions the consequences of which they
may not fully grasp, most Org users are sophisticated enough to make
an intelligent and informed choice.

GNU itself distributes Emacs for Windows from its main site (
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ ), so there's a balance of
considerations.  I think here the balance tips in favor of mentioning
beOrg.  I've tried MobileOrg and gave up on it, while beOrg is more
usable; judging by the reviews, others had a similar impression.