Re: [O] run shell command after publishing project

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] run shell command after publishing project
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 22:19:33 +0000

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:38 PM Matt Price <address@hidden> wrote:
This sounds fantastic, Kaushal. I'm struggling to follow, so wl lask some questions inline.

Sure, my answers are below.

- the doc/ directory contains the full Hugo source directory, with config.toml, content/, layouts, etc., as well as the theme, which looks like it's statically installed

Correct.

- looks like maybe the hugo html ends up in public, but then it gets moved somehow (can't quite figure out how)

Travis CI deals with that. You can look at the use-package Travis setup here[1]. The revelant portion for the site deployment is:

=====
before_deploy: cd doc && make doc
deploy:
  provider: pages
  skip_cleanup: true
  github_token: $GITHUB_TOKEN
  local_dir: public
  on:
    branch: master
    condition: $EMACS_VERSION = 26
=====

(I use emacs 26 specifically to build the site as it comes with Org 9.1.4.. so then I don't need to install Org on the Travis CI machine.)

- the ox-hugo files are kept somewhere I guess

No. The latest ox-hugo version available on Melpa is used. That is done via the same Makefile.. it loads a setup file I have: setup-ox-hugo.el[2].

- presumably any personal config has to be replicated somewhere on the web where travis can access it

The same setup-ox-hugo.el has some minimal "sane settings" (Look at the "(with-eval-after-load 'org" in there for example). You can also add your personal setup to that as needed.

- is there any more setup that needs to be done on Travis?

1. The .travis.yml file mentioned above.
2. Get your GITHUB_TOKEN (minimum permission level: public_repo) to assign to Travis[3].
3. Set the GITHUB_TOKEN and HUGO_BASE_URL env variables in the Travis settings for your repo on https://travis-ci.org/USER/REPO/settings.

- I have 4 main org files; 3 of them get copied per-header, and one as a whole file.  Is that an issue?

No. The latest ox-hugo version now has org-hugo-export-wim-to-md. "wim" stands for What I Mean. See https://ox-hugo.scripter.co/#export-bindings or the comment header in ox-hugo.el for details.

In setup-ox-hugo.el, I define this simple wrapper function:

(defun org-hugo-export-all-wim-to-md ()
  (org-hugo-export-wim-to-md :all-subtrees nil nil :noerror))

In the Makefile, that function is used in the "md1" rule.
And that rule is called in loop by the "md" rule:

md: $(org_files)
$(org_files):
    @$(MAKE) md1 ORG_FILE=$@ TIMEZONE=UTC # Use UTC/Universal time zone for tests

So you only need to tweak the "org_files" rule which is a simple find command to collect an array of all the Org files you want to export (doesn't matter if they are file-based or subtree-based).

If there's any subtree that you don't want to export or any file that you don't want to export in this process, tag the subtree with "foo" tag (example) and the file with #+FILETAGS keyword set to "foo", and add the same "foo" tag to org-export-exclude-tags in the setup-ox-hugo.el. More info: https://ox-hugo.scripter.co/doc/tags-and-categories/#marking-files-to-not-be-exported

This all looks really ocol; too bad it's a bit out of my range, I'd like to understand it a little better!

I hope above helps!

To me the shell script idea feels easier, but I guess it's also a little brittle

PS: I publish the ox-hugo package website[3] the same way too, but using Netlify (/which is the better than GitHub Pages or Gitlab CI IMO -- free too/). See the footer of that site for the 1-file Org source.

Sticking with Github for now since all my course stuff is there, probably easiest for my studnets ot have everything in the same place.

Netlify can be thought of just a CI machine. Your site can live in Github/Gitlab/etc. repos, but Netlify will link to those. So the site source will stay exactly where it is.. just that now Netlify will be receptive to the git commit actions on your repo and auto-deploy the site with each commit. For example: The ox-hugo doc site source is on GitHub, but it is published using Netlify (https://ox-hugo.scripter.co).

Another thing: GitHub Pages does not support https on custom domains.. Netlify does.

thank you!

You are welcome.

And finally, let's move all non-Org discussion off the Org mailing list.

[1]: https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/blob/master/.travis.yml

[2]: https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/blob/master/doc/setup-ox-hugo.el

[3]: https://github.com/blog/1509-personal-api-tokens

--