Re: [O] Dynamic Org-capture Templates

From: Narendra Joshi
Subject: Re: [O] Dynamic Org-capture Templates
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 12:43:51 +0530

Eric Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

> Does anyone know how to approach creating dynamic Org-capture
> templates? I'm looking for IDO/Helm type of completion after a
> template has been selected. If string does not exist, it is created
> and added to future completions, similar to new files in emacs.
>
> Example:
>
> C-c c
> "a" (activity)
> Activity: math               (<--need completion here)
> Topic: multiplication       (<--need completion here)
> Date: 2017-09-11           (<--need default to todays date)
> Start time: 07:00 AM      (<--need to define AM/PM easily)
> Duration: 20                   (<--easier way to capture time?)
> Unit: mins
>
> And
>
> C-c c
> "a" (activity)
> Activity: physical education (<--again, completion starts as "ph.." is typed)
> Type: Yoga                         (<--completion)
> Class: Level 2 flow              (<--completion)
> Date: 2017-09-11                 (<--date picker of some kind)
> Start time: 07:00 AM           (<--define AM/PM easily)
> Duration: 90                        (<--easy method for capturing time)
> Unit: mins
>

> Maybe Org-capture templates are not the correct way to approach this?
> Any direction is appreciated.
>From doc string for `org-capture-templates`:
  %^{prompt}  Prompt the user for a string and replace this sequence with it.
              A default value and a completion table ca be specified like this:
              %^{prompt|default|completion2|completion3|...}.

I think to get completion you would need to dynamically build the value
for `org-capture-templates` which would include the completion
candidates for reach field. I think that's not a great way to do
it. Someone else can suggest a better way, I think.

--
Narendra Joshi