[O] Solved: Bug: org-encrypt-entry fails [9.1.2 (9.1.2-elpa @ /Users/dmm

From: David Maslen
Subject: [O] Solved: Bug: org-encrypt-entry fails [9.1.2 (9.1.2-elpa @ /Users/dmm/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171004/)]
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 12:41:17 +1100

Solved.
Problem was that in graphical mode I saw no password prompt. Failed without a
useful failure message.
Perhaps org-crypt could be improved to catch this situation?

Starting emacs in a terminal worked, as the password prompt was in the
originating terminal window.
On a Mac, I tended to start emacs from the dock, so no terminal.

Solution was to follow the instruction in pinentry.
I then added (pinenty-start) to my .emacs init file.
No org-encrypt-entry prompts for a password in the minibuffer.

pinentry is a built-in package.

Other versions: 0.1 (gnu).

This package allows GnuPG passphrase to be prompted through the
minibuffer instead of graphical dialog.

To use, add "allow-emacs-pinentry" to "~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf",
reload the configuration with "gpgconf --reload gpg-agent", and
start the server with M-x pinentry-start.