[O] merging subtrees (in a syllabus)

From: Matt Price
Subject: [O] merging subtrees (in a syllabus)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 16:09:05 -0400

I maintain syllabi for courses htat have *discussion* ocmponents and *lab* ocmponents; these are often quite separate from one another.

I end up with trees that look like this:

* Outline

** <2017-09-12 Tue> (Week {{{n}}}) Hacking History in the Himalaya
Why we should write history, why everyone should do it, and why that means we need the Web.  Hacker cultures, collaborative learning, knowledge sharing, non-expert culture. And a few words about the world's third-tallest mountain.

*** Background:
- [[http://www.journalofamericanhistory.org/issues/952/interchange/index.html][JAH - The Promise of Digital History]], [[http://writinghistory.trincoll.edu/revisioning/tanaka-2012-spring/][Pasts in a Digital Age]]
-
*** Lab 01: Getting Started
- HTML and Markdown
- Some Tools: Github, Dropbox, Atom Text Editor
- About Our Partners

** <2017-09-19 Tue> (Week {{{n}}}) Language of the Web
The Web is written in a language called HTML, with some help from other lanugages called CSS and _javascript_. The nonlinear and interactive properties of these languages afford new possibilities for storytelling. We explore how the Internet works, and what that means for historical narrative.
*** Readings
- Vannevar Bush, "[[http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1969/12/as-we-may-think/3881/][As We May Think]]"
- Tim Berners-Lee, /Weaving the Web/ [[file:readings/berners-lee-weaving-web.pdf][Ch. 2,4]].
- Edward L. Ayers, "[[http://www.vcdh.virginia.edu/Ayers.OAH.html][History in Hypertext]]"
- Rus Shuler, "[[http://www.theshulers.com/whitepapers/internet_whitepaper/index.html][How Does the Internet Work?]]"
*** Lab 02: Understanding HTML
*Resources:* [[http://jsbin.com/#html,live][JSBin online HTML/_javascript_ editor]]; [[http://codeacademy.net][codeacademy courses]]; [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML][on Wikipedia]]; [[http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/][w3 guide]]; also cf. Zotero Bibliography

----------------------

Because the course readings and hte lab are often separate, it can be difficult and confusing to maintain the course outline in its final form. Id like to be able, instead, to maintain the labs and readings separately, and /merge/ them to produce the final document.  So I'd start with something like this:

* Outline
** Week {{{n}}}
** Week {{{n}}}

* Discussion Topics
** Hacking History in the Himalaya
*** Readings
- ....
- ...
** The Language of the Web
*** Readings
- ...
- ...

* Labs
** Getting Started
- ...
- ...
- ...
** Understanding HTML
- ...
- ...

And then I'd run some elisp that mashes them all up together, and give that to the students, since I think that'll make it easier for them to read.

Anyone on the list have any ideas? If it also comes with a thought about how to generate an org date objet form an initial seed and a session number, that's be fabulous too.

Thank you as always!

Matt