Re: [O] Patch that enables visibility settings in org-mode iCalendar exp

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Patch that enables visibility settings in org-mode iCalendar export
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 12:39:45 -0700

> Hello,
>
> Tobias Schlemmer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> for some reasons I need to control the visibility of individual entries
>> of my caldav calendars. I have implemented a small patch that passes the
>> `CLASS' propery to the iCalendar export:
>>
>> https://github.com/keinstein/org-mode/pull/1
>>
>> I'd like to have this patch integrated in the short term. It is mostly
>> done by cut and paste from the same file.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Could you send a patch on this mailing list using git's "format-patch"
> sub-command?
>
> Also, could you document the feature in org.texi.
>
>> For long term I think a configurable framework would be more useful:
>>
>> • It would be helpful to have a configuration variable that tells which
>> properties are passed more or less verbatim as iCalendar fields
>
> This doesn't sound too hard, if you have a list of such properties and
> are willing to document them.

Hey, now's the time to bring up something I've wanted to do for a while:
adding support for per-entry timezones to the ical export. I've attached
a draft patch that shows what I mean. Basically you give an entry a
TIMEZONE property in the tz database format (eg "Europe/London") and it
will pass that on to the DTSTART/DTEND properties.

I suppose it would also be possible to have separate properties for
start and end timezones, then we could do plane trips!

Further work would be necessary to pass this through org-caldav
correctly, but it's a first step.

If this works out, I'll do a proper commit with docs and all that.

Eric