Re: [O] insert cell inside an org-mode table?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] insert cell inside an org-mode table?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 15:21:49 +0100

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> Not really. Could you give an example of before and after?
>
> For example if you are in the middle of a row and want to insert a cell
> in that row, what should happen? Should the just that row get longer? Or
> should you just add a new column? How should the cells around it shift?

Okay, imagine that you have this table -

| fruit  | one        | two        |
|--------+------------+------------|
| pear   | orange     | grape      |
| banana | grapefruit | satsuma    |
| tomato | potato     | clementine |

And you discover that you've missed out apples and you want to put them
where 'grapefruit' currently is, I would like the following to happen -

| fruit  | one        | two        |
|--------+------------+------------|
| pear   | orange     | grape      |
| banana | apple      | satsuma    |
| tomato | grapefruit | clementine |
|        | potato     |            |

Where the rest of the column gets shifted downwards by one cell.

Now that is a very simplistic table, the one that I'm hoping to build
will be 6 columns by about 60 rows, so having the ability to shift rows
downwards from inserting a cell would be vital to its successful usage.

Thanks
Sharon.