[O] multiple agenda views -- sticky agendas?, buffer renaming?

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: [O] multiple agenda views -- sticky agendas?, buffer renaming?
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 17:19:39 +0200

Hello.

I want my *Org Agenda* buffer to be open at all times, but I still
want to be able to (say) match as many different tags as desired.

Googling and searching the archives suggested 2 possible ways: (1)
use of sticky agenda views and (2) use 'M-x rename-uniquely'.

Use of sticky agendas does not seem to be suited for my need (but
maybe I am missing something), while renaming the buffer seems more
promising except that it partly fails -- again, maybe I am missing
something or there is a bug.

(1) Trying with sticky agendas, I do:

M-x org-agenda * a

M-x make-frame

In the newly created frame: M-x org-agenda m some_tag

so far, so good.

But If, in that same newly created frame, I want to search for another
tag, as soon as I do 'M-x org-agenda m', I get the message "Sticky
Agenda buffer, use `r' to refresh".

Sure, I can refresh, bug cannot search for another tag.

Am I doing something wrong?

(2) Trying renaming the buffer, I do:

M-x org-agenda a

M-x rename-uniquely

M-x make-frame

In the newly created frame: M-x org-agenda m some_tag

At this point, the behavior is as I expect in the newly created agenda
at the proper place of the proper buffer in the other window.

But it does not work that way in the initial agenda view: pressing
<TAB> generates the message "Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p,
nil".

Again, am I doing something wrong?

Are there other ways of doing what I want?

NB: I have used an extremely minimal setup, both with Org version
8.2.10, which is the default for my GNU Emacs 24.5.1 installation, and
with Org version 9.0.8-elpa.

I have tried with M-x rename-buffer instead of M-x rename-uniquely,
but the result is the same.

Thank you for any help.

Alain

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | address@hidden