Re: [O] Moving and resetting attachments

From: Florian Lindner
Subject: Re: [O] Moving and resetting attachments
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 13:20:17 +0200

Am 01.06.2017 um 06:39 schrieb Eric Abrahamsen:
> Florian Lindner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> two questions about moving attachments to org files:
>>
>> C-c C-a a attaches a file and stores it under ./data/ID/...
>>
>> Using C-c C-a s I can set another directory a attachment directory.
>> Can I make org-mode move the content of the previous
>> directory to the new directory?
>>
>> Can I "reset" the attachment directory, i.e. like C-c C-a s but
>> :ATTACH_DIR: is deleted and the contents of the previous
>> directory are moved to ./data/ID?
>>
>> Rationale:
>>
>> I use org mode as a document management system. Create an entry Papers ->
>> Interpolation -> ECCOMAS. I know create an
>> custom attachment directory ECCOMAS, next to the org file as long as I
>> am working on that paper. When it's finished, I
>> want to move the contents of the ECCOMAS attachment directory to ./data/ID/.
>
> It doesn't work this way now, but I think it makes sense, and I would
> also find that helpful. `org-attach-set-directory' could be changed to
> check for existing files, and offer to move them. There's no
> `org-attach-unset-directory', but I suppose there could be.

Hey,

I hacked together some lines of lisp that should achieve that. It's my first
non-trivial (from my point of trivialness)
piece of code. I'm open for any suggestions:

(defun flo/org-attach-move ()
  (interactive)
  (when (org-attach-dir)
    (let ((target (read-string "Move attachments to: ")) ; read-directory-name
here?
          (attach-dir (org-attach-dir)))

      (if (string= target "")
          (progn
            (org-entry-delete nil "ATTACH_DIR")
            (setq target (org-attach-dir t)))
        (progn
          (org-entry-put nil "ATTACH_DIR" target)
          (make-directory target t))
        )

      (unless (string= target attach-dir)
        (copy-directory attach-dir target t nil t)
        (message "Deleting %s" attach-dir)
        ;; (shell-command "rm -rf %s" attach-dir)
        )
      )
    )
  )