Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:47:22 -0500

Over the past few years I have looked at pandoc a few times:

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/07/17/Pandoc-does-org-mode-now/
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/01/29/Export-org-mode-to-docx-with-citations-via-pandoc/
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/06/11/ox-pandoc-org-mode-+-org-ref-to-docx-with-bibliographies/

Of the exports, to Word is still the least well developed (in my opinion
of course).

Sometimes I just use ox-clip to copy org-mode into word with formatting.
It works pretty well for simple things.

I started https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/ox-rtf.el s an
alternative path to word. It works kind of minimally, but it does not do
everything, and I have not worked on it in a while.

You might see the first three entries of
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/08/08/What-we-are-using-org-mode-for/
which talk about the blog, two large "books" I wrote in org-mode, and a
few of the scientific papers we have written in org-mode and converted
to Latex then pdf (there are over 15 now I think).

A long time ago I was enamored by rst, and Sphinx documentation in
Python. These days I vastly prefer the simpler, and more functional
org-mode markup. The functionality (links, executable code, flexible
export, etc) could be made to work in rst too (it is emacs after all),
but I find it easier to do it and extend it in org-mode (but that is
mostly my experience with org-mode speaking). I like keeping it all in
emacs, and not switching over to a browser to get access to
documentation. That is certainly a preference of mine, but one that is
so strong I wrote an emacs pydoc module to show python docstrings in
emacs, and started writing those in org-mode so I could have equations,
figures and links in them ;)

I think about org-documents in a fundamentally different way than I
think about Latex/rst/html. My org-documents are simultaneously
narrative functional text and documents that contain human readable,
machine-addressable information, e.g. contacts, bibtex entries,
meetings, etc. that I can use in other documents or applications, while
retaining the capability to export the documents to other formats that
are considerably more limited, but that a publisher might demand.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F