Re: [O] limitation for macro expansion

From: Yasushi SHOJI
Subject: Re: [O] limitation for macro expansion
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 10:56:53 +0900

Hi Nicolas,

On Sun, 05 Mar 2017 19:58:43 +0900,
Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Yasushi SHOJI <address@hidden> writes:
> > * test
> > - It works with chars around like this: Aa{{{author}}}bB.
> > - It works with numbers around like this: 12{{{author}}}34.
> > - It works with _ around like this: _{{{author}}}_.
> > - It works with =__= around like this: __{{{author}}}__.
> > - But it doesn't work with 'a_' prefixed like this: a_{{{author}}}.
> > - But it doesn't work with '1_' prefixed like this: 1_{{{author}}}.
>
> The two examples above are ambiguous.

Ah, you mean the parser is unable to distinguish the macro and
subscript?  I didn't notice it since I've been disabled sub /
superscript feature all together.  In my configuration it seemed that
Org is silently ignoring the macro expansion.  Thank you for letting
me know!

> You should use {{{{author}}}}.

Doesn't seems to work.  When I export 'a_{{{{author}}}}', it
generates:

  a_{Yasushi SHOJI}

I was expecting to see:

  a_Yasushi SHOJI

> > - Link doesn't work like this: [[file:{{{input-file}}}][Bad link]]
>
> Indeed. This kind of link is not supported as you cannot follow it
> (macros are an export-only feature).

Hmm, that's true that you can't follow it.

Would it be OK to say that it's a design decision to ignore the macro
expansion in the link field at export time?

> Feel free to provide a documentation patch if you think this needs to be
> made explicit.

Will do once I fully understand.

Now, what I'm trying to achieve with a macro is to generate a
filename-like string with a timestamp in it in my doc.

ie)

  #+MACRO: timestamp {{{date(%Y%m%d)}}}

  Please open log_{{{timestamp}}}.txt

Would it be possible for org to do this?

If not, would it be possible for me to modify the code to achieve this?
My stupid idea is to:

  - disable sub / superscript parser when org-use-sub-superscripts is nil
  - reverse the precedence order of subscript and macro

I know parsers are in org-element.el but not sure how the precedence
is decided.  If someone pointing at where to look, I'm very
appreciated.

Thanks,
--
           yashi