Re: [O] Where to put dates on meeting headlines

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Where to put dates on meeting headlines
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 20:21:36 -0800

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, John Kitchin wrote:

Suppose I use a heading to store notes on a meeting.

Is there a canonical location to put a date so I could search for them
later?

It seems like the date is not a deadline, or scheduled timestamp.  I
could see putting the date in the headline, but then I do not see an
obvious way to search for meetings that occurred in a time range.
Putting the date in the body is another location, but then I do not know
how it might be searched again.

Another option is a property, which might be searchable at least with a
function.

What do you do along these lines?

Here is a simple example of a headline I might have, and later I might
want a report of all meetings in the month of February.

* Group meeting <2017-02-24 Fri> :meeting:

That is a timestamp, albeit one with `:hour-start nil :minute-start nil'.

Isn't this good enough to search with?

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (org-element-map
      (org-element-parse-buffer) 'timestamp
    (lambda(x)
      (let
          ((beg (org-element-property :begin x))
           (month (org-element-property :month-start x))
           (year (org-element-property :year-start x)))
        (format "Year %s Month %s Where %s" year month beg))))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| Year 2017 Month 2 Where 18 |

HTH,