Re: [O] org-annotate/collaboration?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] org-annotate/collaboration?
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 14:07:00 -0800

"Alan E. Davis" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am looking for something a little different than this: annotated ls
> listings.  I have been searching blindly for years for this.
>
> Back in the 90s was a Dos clone called 4dos, which featured directory
> listings with annotations, such that typing whatever the command was
> (dir?), gave a listing with the file name just like "dir" but also a
> description of the file.
>
> It was exceedingly useful for me, in keeping track of a large number
> of files.  I have never seen anything like it.
>
> Could org-annotate fulfill at least part of this requirement?  (I have
> posted to this list a similar question quite some years ago.)

org-annotate could do the annotation part of it, but really that part
pales compared to the challenge of creating and maintaining directory
listings in Org. Doing it once would be easy, but tracking
additions/deletions/renames in the directory sounds like a *lot* of
work, not to mention making sure the annotations follow the correct
entry.

I suppose if you *only* edited the directory listing through custom
commands you implement from Org mode you could keep it under control,
but still... Some challenges energize you when you start imaging how to
solve them. Others make you exhausted just thinking about them!

Eric