Re: [O] Timezones revisited

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] Timezones revisited
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 17:05:41 +0100

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:50:24AM -0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > Does the time stamp input support some form of timezone input? I
> > checked the manual and tried a few methods and they don't appear
> > supported.
>
> If the time stamp format doesn't support timezone info, then the input
> method won't either, unfortunately. I had one of my occasional attacks
> of enthusiasm about this subject recently -- using org-caldav while
> you're traveling really exposes the limitations of timezone-unaware
> scheduling.

That's my case. Now I'm using the date command with -d to translate
for me.

> Would it be completely out of the question to support an optional
> timezone marker? From (nth 1 (current-time-zone))?
>
> <2017-02-01 Wed PST>
>
> The plumbing for time calculations would be... an adventure. But it
> seems like it could be done in a backwards-compatible way.

I gave some thought to the idea of storing all timestamps in GMT and
then each buffer could have a timezone defined or use the system
time. Then the relative time would be overlaid in viewing the
file. That's a real stretch though, as I think this would take
significant effort.

I think for now a simple method to input a time from another timezone
and convert it to your own would suffice. That wouldn't change
anything regarding storage or working with timestamps, only a one time
conversion a the time of data entry. I wonder if that isn't a fast
change?

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden