[O] [parser] feature request: column and row numbers available for table

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [O] [parser] feature request: column and row numbers available for table-cell elements
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:55:11 +0000

Hello,

I have been writing a derived backend for LaTeX export which outputs the
formulae used in a table.  This is for teaching purposes where I
currently use an external spreadsheet to illustrate some simple
modelling concepts.  I would prefer to use org (as my slides are
generated by org via beamer) and am able to output a formatted table of
the formulae used in a table.

However, due to various possible hidden rows and columns that do not
appear in the exported table, the row and column references are not
easily usable directly to identify the reference entries in the table.

Would it be possible to extend the table-cell element in the parser to
add :row and :column attributes that have the internal org values, as
used by the formulae?

An example table that I have been using to test my derived backend and
which illustrates the issue is:

#+begin_src org
  |   | Strategy | Average performance |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  | / |          |                8.69 |
  | / |          |                9.72 |
  | / |          |                9.03 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  |   |        1 |                9.15 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  | / |          |                9.15 |
  | / |          |                7.60 |
  | / |          |                7.46 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  |   |        2 |                8.07 |
  |---+----------+---------------------|
  ,#+TBLFM: @5$3=vmean(@address@hidden);%.2f::@9$3=vmean(@address@hidden);%.2f
#+end_src

This table does not export the first column nor any of the rows with /
in the first column.  So, in the exported table, there are only 3 rows
and 2 columns but the formulae refer to, e.g. column 3 and row 9.  I
would like to be able to annotate the output with the org row and column
numbers so need access to these data.

A screenshot of what the derived backend generates currently is attached.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.2-104-gf5b7de