[O] Properties ID vs. CUSTOM_ID (was: Automatically Generating IDs From

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Properties ID vs. CUSTOM_ID (was: Automatically Generating IDs From Title and Date)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:57:27 +0100

* Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/18/16, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
>>   Usually, my IDs start with the current ISO day to enforce uniqueness
>>   and look like this:
>
> my understanding, which might be incorrect, is that custom id is for
> human-readable purposes, while id is for uuid.  although you could
> prepend to uuid.

There once was a discussion on this topic here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-08/msg00165.html

I am a bit worried: So far, I got 125870 manually set ID properties
in my Org-mode files.

To me, using :ID: was straight forward since I never read about any
other ID when I began with Org-mode in 2011.

Many features required me to have an :ID: and no feature I stumbled
upon required me to have something else as reference:
id:this-is-an-id, making references using org-store-link, and so
forth.

So let's search through the manual:
    http://orgmode.org/org.html#Internal-links
    http://orgmode.org/org.html#Handling-links
    http://orgmode.org/org.html#Search-options

Well, either this did not exist in 2011 or I was not paying
attention. I never faced any disadvantage, using ID properties
instead.

Do I really need to migrate and risk broken links? Or is there a
safe way to move to CUSTOM_ID?

Are there advantages when I switch to CUSTOM_IDs?

Do I really have to have a CUSTOM_ID *and* an ID set for being able
to reference any heading via human-readable ids *and* features like
org-store-link and so on?

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github