Re: [O] Multiple underscores crash org latex export; other exporters sur

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Multiple underscores crash org latex export; other exporters survive
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 14:31:08 -0800

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Scott Randby wrote:

On 12/03/2016 02:40 PM, Scott Otterson wrote:
When an org file contains a string with more than one underscore, the
orgmode export result will crash latex (example attached).   On the
other hand, the org html export does finish successfully, and while
result is odd, it's odd in a way that makes the problem visible and easy
to identify.

I exported your file using LaTeX export without trouble. The result does
look odd, but that is because the string you gave is missing the braces
needed to make it export properly. The output messages warn that the
string contains a double subscript, so the problem is with the string
and not Org's LaTeX export.

Your string: a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks

Properly formed string: a_{variable_{deleteThisAndItWorks}}

I don't think the OP wanted double subscripts. If the OP really wanted "heavily underscored code snippets", something like:

Code snippet:  ~a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks~

seems like the way to go.

See (info "(org) Emphasis and monospace")

That way the latex is

: \texttt{a\_variable\_deleteThisAndItWorks}

and that idiom would properly render html as

: <code>a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks</code>

rather than

as in OPs case. The latter is valid html, but doesn't seem quite like the right thing to do for code snippets.

HTH,

Chuck

Scott Randby

Many people have orgfiles with heavily underscored code snippets buried
deep inside.  To them, the latex crashes are probably as mysterious as
they were to me.  So I'd like to suggest that the org latex exporter
adopt something like the org html exporter behavior.