Re: [O] translating event sexps to org for org-caldav

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] translating event sexps to org for org-caldav
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 23:38:03 +0100

Hello,

Myles English <address@hidden> writes:

> From the org-caldav github page[fn:2] :
>
> """However, sexp-entries are insanely flexible, and there are limits as
> to what the icalendar exporter will handle. For example, this here
>
> ** Regular event
>    <%%(memq (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 3 5))>
>
> will not be exported at all."""
>
> However, org-agenda uses these sexps to make entries in the agenda.
>
> Would it be possible to reuse something from org-agenda to write these
> entries as org items into a file that could be uploaded using
> org-caldav?  Maybe org-get-entries-from-diary?  Is there a huge problem
> with this that I haven't noticed?

This is tricky. Agenda has a notion of time span, "ox-icalendar" hasn't.
So you would have to test if sexp matches for every day between some
arbitrary chosen dates.

"ox-icalendar.el" relies on "icalendar.el" library, bundled with Emacs,
for converting diary entries. Alas, it doesn't handle sexp entries
either.

> [fn:1] I think I started using sexps just because org-mode can't do
> e.g. "every Monday, *between these two dates*"

I use `org-class' for that.

Nicolas Goaziou