[O] Cannot load org after updating to 9.0

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: [O] Cannot load org after updating to 9.0
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:44:37 +0100

Hello,

I updated my emacs packages this morning, including org 9.0, from GNU elpa. Apparently (based on other folders in my elpa installation folder), my last previous update was on april 11, 2016, so the problem may not come from the very latest version. Nonetheless, I didn't find any other mention of it online.

So, how does the problem appear? When I start emacs, I get the following "warnings":

> WARNING: No org-loaddefs.el file could be found from where org.el is loaded.
> You need to run "make" or "make autoloads" from Org lisp directory
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `(...)/.emacs.d/init.el':

> Symbol's function definition is void: org-element-update-syntax

For the first warning, I tried looking in the ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161102 folder (which is where the loaded org.el file is), and it does contain org-loaddefs.el. There is no makefile, but I guess that it is normal for an installation using elpa.

The second warning is an error and blocks further evaluation of my init file. For some reason though, --debug-init doesn't give any stacktrace.

I'm using emacs 24.3.1 on linux (ubuntu 14.04).

What should I do?

Thanks,

Thibaut Verron