Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.4 (8.3.4-dist @ /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:56:08 +0100

Hello,

Reuben Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

> ​That's great! However, is a cut of the release branch as good as an actual
> release?

It is better, since it contains more bugfixes than last release without
adding new features.

However, I think we should make more frequent bugfix releases. We may
even automate such releases, e.g., one week after the last unreleased
bugfix in the branch. I don't do releases however, so this may just be
a weird idea.

Bastien, is it even possible?

> Thought experiment: if it is good enough, surely the web site should
> point users to this installation method for the stable version?

Isn't it the case already? From the first page I see

  M-x list-packages RET (see Org ELPA)

  Daily snapshots: tar.gz or zip

> I can't imagine there are many users who would prefer to compile from
> source rather than just use package-install!

I don't think we force users to use development version (even though it
is appreciated, particularly close to a major release). OTOH, being able
to browse source code is very important so the "git clone" command and
the "cgit" link also belong to the first page.

> ​ Also, the version should be the git tag (so that the version number is
> clearly visible), rather than the current "YYYYMMDD" format, which looks
> like a development snapshot.

We need to tell the difference between a release and a cut from the
maint branch.

Also, I'd rather have monotonic version tags, so 8.3.6.whatever is not
really an option. Maybe 8.3.YYYMMDD... and we drop manual bugfix
releases altogether.

Nicolas Goaziou