Re: [O] ob-lua

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] ob-lua
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:30:10 +0200

Hello,

Thibault Marin <address@hidden> writes:

> I have updated the patch to use `org-babel--get-vars' as suggested.  I
> also have replaced `org-babel-trim' by `org-trim' (as advised in
> ORG-NEWS) and replaced the `case' statement by a `pcase' (I used
> ob-python.el for reference).  Please let me know if these changes are
n> acceptable and if other changes are required.

The changes look fine. Could you send them using git format-patch, with
a proper commit message? See
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#patches> for details.

> About the test, I am attaching my first attempt at this, please let me
> know if you have some advice on how to improve it or if you had
> something else in mind.  This is the first time I use ert or org-test,
> but these seem to pass and test the basic features.

Nice. Thank you. I only have a small suggestion about test structure.
See above.

> By the way, when trying to run the tests from emacs, I had an error
> message when doing a (require 'org-test): "let: Required feature `ert-x'
> was not provided".  Am I doing something wrong?  I worked around it by
> (1) installing the `ertx' package and (2) replacing (require 'ert-x) by
> (require 'ertx) in org-test.el (that's probably the wrong thing to do,
> but it allowed me to run my tests).

I usually only call "make test" from Org root directory.

> ;;; test-ob-lua.el --- tests for ob-lua.el
>
> ;; Copyright (c) 2011-2014 Eric Schulte
> ;; Authors: Eric Schulte

The information above is wrong.

> ;; This file is not part of GNU Emacs.
>
> ;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> ;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> ;; the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
> ;; (at your option) any later version.
>
> ;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> ;; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> ;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> ;; GNU General Public License for more details.
>
> ;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> ;; along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
>
> ;;; Code:
> (unless (featurep 'ob-lua)
>   (signal 'missing-test-dependency "Support for Lua code blocks"))
>

> (ert-deftest test-ob-lua/simple-value ()
>   (org-test-with-temp-text "#+name: eg
> | a   | 1 |
> | b   | 2 |
>
> #+header: :results value
> #+header: :var x = eg
> #+begin_src lua
> return x['b']
> #+end_src"
>     (org-babel-next-src-block)
>     (should (equal 2 (org-babel-execute-src-block)))))

You could explain in the docstring, or in a comment, what you are
testing.

Also, I suggest to move `should' and the test on the outside of the
sexp, like this

  (ert-deftest test-ob-lua/simple-value ()
    "Test ..."
    (should
     (= 2
        (org-test-with-temp-text "#+name: eg
  | a   | 1 |
  | b   | 2 |

  #+header: :results value
  #+header: :var x = eg
  #+begin_src lua
  return x['b']
  #+end_src"
          (org-babel-next-src-block)
          (org-babel-execute-src-block)))))

This way, you can simply inspect the return value of your test by
calling `eval-last-sexp' after the parenthesis closing
(org-test-with-temp-text ...). It makes debugging easier, IMO.

Nicolas Goaziou