Re: [O] problems with alphabetic ordering in tables containing non ASCII

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] problems with alphabetic ordering in tables containing non ASCII chars
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 22:49:34 +0200

Hello,

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Consider please the following example:
>
> | Anton   |
> | Álvarez |
> | Arrieta |
>

>   org-table-sort-lines using alphabetic ordering results in
>

> | Anton   |
> | Arrieta |
> | Álvarez |
>
> Which is contra intuitive to say the least. The accented A should be
> treated as if it did not have an accent resulting in
>
> | Álvarez |
> | Anton   |
> | Arrieta |

Alphabetic ordering uses `string-lessp', which doesn't fulfill your
needs here. You can however, sort by an arbitrary function using f or
F key.

In any case, char folding is a complicated matter, because it really
depends on the host language. I think development Emacs provides
something like this.

Nicolas Goaziou