Re: [O] Why no secure code retrieval

From: Robert Klein
Subject: Re: [O] Why no secure code retrieval
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:11:58 +0200

Hi,

I haven't been as active as I'd have liked in this matter...

Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Ian Barton <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Not heard of Gogs before, although it looks nice. Another possiblity
> > would be gitolite with cgit. Gitolite is very flexible and as a
> > consequence can be hard to set up initially. The documentation is
> > very comprehensive. It supports mirroring of repos.
>
> I have no experience with gitolite.

gitolite is easy.  Configuration is one directory with a configuration
file, one directory with ssh keys;

Configuration looks like this:

#+begin_src conf
repo orgmode
    RW+ = kleinrob
    R = @all
    config gitweb.url = address@hidden:orgmode
    config gitweb.description = "orgmode test"
    config receive.denyNonFastforwards = true
    config receive.denyDeletes = true

repo testing
    RW+     =   @all
    R = daemon
    config gitweb.url = address@hidden:testing
    config receive.denyNonFastforwards = true
    config receive.denyDeletes = true
#+end_src

I have ~35 lines of script, another 35 lines of instructions plus the
apache configuration to get gitolite running on a SLES server.  Doesn't
need cgit.

> I encourage you to try gogs, it is very easy to install and maintain,
> and its interface is very engaging.  The more gogs users and potential
> admins out there, the more comfortable I'll feel making the switch.

For Gogs installation on Debian Jessie I have a ~20 line
script (plus ~10 lines for postgresql; some more for MySQL). I'm using
only the gogs web server (no apache and/or nginx front-end). Have to be
careful copy- and pasting the script though, as I have to enter
passwords.

Current git versions now also supports http-urls, so this shouldn'nt be
an issue for both gits vs gitolite.

Gogs requires users to be created for current contributors...

No preference from my side, though I have some emotional distance to
gogs...

Best
Robert