Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 08:48:10 -0700

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Ista Zahn wrote:

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Andreas Kiermeier
<address@hidden> wrote:
I second that.
I like exporting everything to LaTeX without having to re-run all the code,
which in many cases can add considerable time.

Which you can still do, I guess by

(setq org-babel-default-header-args
     (cons '(:eval . "never-export")
  (assq-delete-all :noweb org-babel-default-header-args)))

instead of the old way

(setq org-export-babel-evaluate nil)

I'm not saying this is good or right. IMO the old behavior of
org-export-babel-evaluate made sense and was useful; the new behavior
is surprising and I have a hard time seeing how it is useful. One can
argue (as Chuck has) that the new behavior is fine sense we have
another way of achieving the desired results; that may be, but I have
yet to see an explanation of why the new behavior is desirable.

The change was in this commit

  commit ec615b192d703a0201ceefd46897e4636ff00a38
  Author: Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
  Date:   Thu Apr 28 17:25:31 2016 +0200

and was in response to a bug noted in

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/106767

IIRC, you need to read the thread - not just the first post - to get what gives.

It this change is not going to be reversed than the doc string for
org-export-babel-evaluate needs to be updated, and something should go
in the NEWS file warning people (like me) who have been relying on the
old behavior.

Since the change was a bugfix, it seems unlikely that it will be reversed unless another bugfix is proposed.

I could change the docstring, but I wanted to let the discussion ripen a bit first to see if anyone stepped forward with a patch that would do just that. Or even suggest that the variable be deleted entirely.

For those who are just now tuning in, something like

#+PROPERTY: :eval never-export

should give the behavior most users of o-e-b-e nil would desire.

Chuck