Re: [O] Editing Quote blocks remotely

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Editing Quote blocks remotely
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 14:30:23 +0200

>> It would be nice if one could open an editing buffer for quote blocks,
>> e.g. using C-c '.
>>
>> I guess we could use the code already used for remote footnote editing in
>> org-src.el (I think) or whatever is being used for example blocks.  The
>> mode should be Org, I guess.
>>
>> It might be nice to support remote editing for VERSE as well.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I'm not sure to understand the "remote" part in your idea. Point is on
> the quote/verse block when you call C-c '. You can as well mark the
> block and narrow to it. There is already a function for that:
> `org-narrow-to-block'.

With org-narrow-to-block you have to pay attention to the boundaries of
the block, but indeed it goes most of the way.  Of course it’s trivial to
fix that.

The nice part would be to be able to edit the content of the block in a
different buffer.  It’s good for dumping passages and doing further
editing (e.g. and emphases).

> Also, quote blocks are quite different from example blocks since they
> can contain other elements, including other blocks. This can lead to
> surprising behaviour, IMO.

I’m not sure I see how that’s relevant in this case, but I could easily be
overlooking some detail.

Rasmus

--
You people at the NSA are becoming my new best friends!