Re: [O] long delay after selecting capture template

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] long delay after selecting capture template
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 21:40:48 +0800

Allan Streib <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Another thing you can try is edebugging `org-capture-fill-template' and
>> stepping through it, and just see if anything weird happens. See the
>> Elisp manual for how to edebug, if you haven't before.
>>
>> Does it only happen for the "t" template? What's the "t" template look
>> like?
>
> I've really just started with org mode and task capture; so far I've
> only used the default "todo" (t) template.
>
> Debugging the function, the "stall" happens on the indicated line below,
> the call to org-get-x-clipboard with the value 'SECONDARY
>
>      [...]
>
>        ;; Is the link empty?  Then we do not want it...
>        (v-a (if (equal v-a "[[]]") "" v-a))
>        (clipboards (remove nil (list v-i
>                                      (org-get-x-clipboard 'PRIMARY)
>                                      (org-get-x-clipboard 'CLIPBOARD)
>                                >>>   (org-get-x-clipboard 'SECONDARY)  <<<
>                                      v-c)))
>
>      [...]
>
> I've heard of primary and clipboard X11 selections, but not secondary. I
> found a web post[1] suggesting it's a "near-extinct" feature.
>
> If I comment out that line the delay vanishes.

Well that's some fairly successful sleuthing. The bad news is you know
now as much as (or more than) I do about your problem, and I don't know
what to tell you from here. I'd say tell the list what system you're
using, and what desktop environment, and hope someone has some wisdom to
bestow.

Otherwise... just comment that line out.