Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 09:02:35 -1000

Aloha Eduardo,

Eduardo Mercovich writes:

> However, I would appreciate some help with little details that I'm not
> getting clear, mostly sure because of my ignorance.
>
> + what is the difference between using the :ignore: tag and add
> "COMMENT" as the first characters in the line (the native Org mechanism
> to prevent export)? I tried them and didn't saw the difference.

With the :ignore: tag the headline is ignored, but the text below it is
exported.  This is useful for situations like the front matter of a
book, which is mostly assembled by LaTeX.  The :ignore: tag allows you
to isolate the various LaTeX commands in your document so they are
separate from the headings with text that you'll write, but still
contribute to the export.

> + if I put a plain text link in a sidenote (like
> "\sidenote{see http://AgileManifesto.org}";), it doesn't get
> automagically converted to a link as it is in the text body. It appears
> as normal text and without the \url{...}, so it doesn't look and doesn't
> act as a link.

IIUC, I think you need to tell Org mode that this is a link:
\sidenote{see [[http://AgileManifesto.org]]}.

> + using links as specific Latex markup seems a great idea. However, the
> links face definition makes it specially visible, and impossible to
> separate from any other URL since the properties are hidden. Can that be
> tweaked (maybe not it your class, of course, but in the .emacs file or
> similar), so as to keep the writing flow unperturbed?

I agree that it would be useful to make the appearance of links in the
Org mode buffer configurable on a per-link basis.  Different colors for
different kinds of link might go some way to resolving the visual
ambiguities you describe.  However, I don't think this is currently
possible.

Expanding link functionality is something that has been discussed on the
mailing list every once in a while for the last several years, but this
is an idea that fails to find traction with the Org mode developers.  I
reckon they know best.

In practice, I mouse over the link to see the link type in the minibuffer.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye