Re: [O] Keep buffer visible w/ capture template

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Keep buffer visible w/ capture template
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:04:35 -0500

On 2016-01-13 at 13:17, Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2016-01-13 at 13:08, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I'd like to keep the active buffer visible while capturing.
>
>I think the issue is that the template requests a timestamp or a
>SCHEDULED field (or as you describe, you may add those manually). The
>email usually has the date/time information visible, but the calendar
>hides it, making it difficult to fill out the template. That is my
>issue. The current window flow is
>
> 1) View email 2) Invoke capture. See email + *Org Select* buffer 3)
> Select template. See *Capture* buffer and calendar buffer.
>
> I'd like to still see the email in step (3).

I've found two solutions to this.

1) (setq calendar-setup (quote calendar-only)) makes the calendar appear in a
new frame. However, their are weird side effects and the mini-buffer used to
enter the date/time is in another frame, and not the one where the capture was
invoked.

OR

2)

(defun kdm/position-calendar-buffer (buffer alist)
  (display-buffer-at-bottom buffer alist))

(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist (cons "\\*Calendar\\*" (cons
#'kdm/position-calendar-buffer nil)))

Splits the window in 3, so I have 1) capture template 2) original text and 3)
calendar.

  -k.