[O] Org mode export from a large file is slow since release 8.3

From: Viktor Rosenfeld
Subject: [O] Org mode export from a large file is slow since release 8.3
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 03:05:40 +0100

Hi,

I updated from 8.2.9 to 8.3.2 today and now the export has become very slow.
Creating an HTML page or a LaTeX buffer used to be instantaneous but now takes
up to 30 seconds.

It seems that this is mostly related to file size. For example, exporting a
subtree from a large notes file (~8600 lines) is very slow (11 seconds) but if
I truncate the file significantly (to ~3000 lines) the export is faster (<2
seconds), and if I move the subtree to a fresh file (while still exporting the
subtree only and not the file) it is again instantaneous.

It also seems that the maint branch has fixed this problem somewhat, although I
can’t really quantify it, but the problem persists.

In the *Messages* buffer, I see a new message that hasn’t been there before:

org-babel-exp process C at line 7982...
org-babel-exp process C at line 7998...
org-babel-exp process C at line 8024...
org-babel-exp process C at line 8064...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8103...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8119...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8132...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8148...
org-babel-exp process C at line 8179...
30 unique files scanned for IDs [8 times]

Curiously, after trying to debug this issue, the problem went away for one file
but persists for another.

I am also able to reproduce this problem with an init.el file containing only:

;; use own Org-mode installation
(setq load-path (cons "~/unix/src/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/unix/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org)
(require 'ox-html)

I’m using CocoaEmacs 24.4 (9.0) installed via Homebrew on OS X 10.11.1 (El
Capitan).

Any idea what is causing this?

Best,
Viktor