Re: [O] First steps in customizing org-mode

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [O] First steps in customizing org-mode
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 02:23:43 -1000

Giulio Petrucci <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Google's not the place to look! For once. One of the main principles of
>> Emacs, and thus of Org mode, is that it is self-documenting. You'll get
>> a better sense of what `org-agenda-custom-commands' does, and how to use
>> it, by hitting "C-h v org-agenda-custom-commands" than you will from any
>> other source. There's even a clickable link to customize it.
>
> In some sense I strongly disagree with this idea.
> Let me explain: it is true that reading the docs for
> 'org-agenda-custom-commands' helps me more than googling here and
> there.
> But *first* I have to know that such a variable exists.
> So my actual problem is the following: which is the easiest entry
> point for the org universe?

There are likely many answers to this question, depending on your goals
and computer skill level.

Worg says the Tutorials page is your best starting point:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.html

Carsten Dominick put together the Org guide (later translated into
Spanish) for this purpose:

http://orgmode.org/guide/index.html

I find the helm interface super useful for finding Org mode variables
and functions.  Type in a couple of key words and the list of candidates
is usually short enough to browse helpfully.  In a way, it is like
Google for the emacs universe.

hth,
Tom

--