Re: [O] HTML export / list issues

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] HTML export / list issues
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 15:58:43 -0400

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 02:58:35PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Below is a (hopefully) self-explanatory org file of my problem and the
> > associated html export.
> >
> > Jarmo
> >
> > * Problem description
> >   The examples below illustrate three problems I have with lists and
> >   html export at the moment.
> >   1. lists alphabetized in org are enumerated in html
>
> Actually this is a wrong assumption. Org only distinguishes enumerated,
> itemized and description lists. There are no sub-categories.
>
> In the buffer, you may write an enumerated list item "1.", "1)", "a.",
> "A.", "a)" or "A)", but they are all the same.
>
> For this kind of thing, setting an appropriate CSS could be an option.

Correct. try ~list-style-type: lower-alpha;~ in your css to get lowercase
alphanumeric labels for an enumerated list (~<ol>~).

> >   2. code evaluation breaks list continuation
> >   3. centering of raw html does not work using begin center and
> >      end center
> > * Example
> >   I am making a hierarchical list with some code in it.
> >   1. level 1 first
> >      a) level 2 first; I was hoping this would be alphabetized in html
> >         like it is in org, but it is still enumerated
> >      b) the next item has some code in it; it has been evaluated with
> >         C-c C-c to obtain the result
> >      c)
> >     #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :exports results
> >     (+ 1 2)
> >     #+END_SRC
> >
> >  #+RESULTS:
> >  : 3
>
> This is because "a)" is not recognized as a list item in your buffer.
>
>  Make sure you have a non-nil `org-list-allow-alphabetical' and
> `org-plain-list-ordered-item-terminator' is either t or ?). These
> variables need to be set before Org is loaded. If you set them in
> current session, make sure to reload Org.
>
> >   2. here is another element with some code; I am trying to center the
> >      result of the evalution of this code in html
> >      #+NAME: code-example
> >      #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :exports results :results raw
> >      (- 9 14) #+END_SRC
> >
> >      #+BEGIN_CENTER
> >      #+RESULTS: code-example
> >      -5
> >      #+END_CENTER
> >   3. but for some reason the result is not centered
>
> This generates

>   -5
>
> perhaps someone more versed in HTML could tell what is wrong here.

I would assume it's because there is no css for ~div.center~. Try (untested):

  div.center > p { text-align: center; }

Note that this will center each line, separately. To center the entire
paragraph as a block is more complex. This will do if if you specify the
paragraph width.

  div.center > p {
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    width: {X}em;
  }

See http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/center#viewport3 for a CSS3 (less
backward compatible) approach. that doesn't require setting the width of the
paragraph.

I usually just set a left margin or padding as opposed to trying to float
the block in the middle. (e.g. ~margin-left: 2em~.)

rick