Re: [O] How to elegantly and effectively quote org fragments?

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: [O] How to elegantly and effectively quote org fragments?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 06:37:24 +0200

Nicolas Goaziou writes on Fri 22 May 2015 00:02:

> You can also use a fixed-width area:
 >
 >   : * a headline only for the example
 >   : ** a subheadline
 >   : text

Ah, thank you.  If I understand correctly, though, once one does that
(in an SRC org block, say) one looses the ability to edit the block as
org code using org-edit-special (C-c ').

 > > (1) Say I have have this in my org file (star in 1st column):
 > >
 > >    * a regular headline: writing org examples
 > >
 > >      #+BEGIN_SRC org
 > >            ,* a headline only for the example
 > >            ,** a subheadline
 > >            text
 > >      #+END_SRC
 > >
 > > Is it the best that one can do to quote some org code?  Since I use
 > > (org-startup-indented t), I would expect to have the corresponding
 > > indentation.
 >
 > I'm not sure to understand. `org-indent-mode' is about virtual
 > indentation, not real one. So, there's no indentation to be inserted.

I understand that the indentation is virtual; it is just that I would
(ideally) expect for the quoted example to visually look the same as
it does in an org buffer.

 > > Also, if not possible to avoid the escaping commas, I would like to at
 > > least have them for each line, not only for the headlines. So I would
 > > like something like this:
 > >
 > >    * a regular headline: writing org examples
 > >
 > >      #+BEGIN_SRC org
 > >       ,* a headline only for the example
 > >       ,  * a subheadline
 > >       ,    text
 > >      #+END_SRC
 > >
 > > Is (some of) this at all doable?
 >
 > This is not possible. Escaping rules are explained in (info "(org)
 > Literal examples"), fourth footnote.

OK.  I had missed this footnote.  I will live with this, but am still
surprised by this fact -- the SRC org block looks ugly to me.  When we
enter [[xx]] (say) the brackets become invisible, so I had assumed
that a similar mechanism could exist here; I guess there are
advantages to the present situation that I do not see...

 > > Is this normal?  Since the deadline is part of the block, I would
 > > expect no entry in the agenda; I tried to escape the DEADLINE with a
 > > comma, but it does not change anything.  So, is there a way to *quote*
 > > a DEADLINE:, i.e., without having an associated entry in the agenda?
 >
 > IIRC, this bug was fixed some months ago on development version.

Very good.  I'll wait.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanations.