Re: [O] Resume: Squeezing lines tighter in LaTeX output?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Resume: Squeezing lines tighter in LaTeX output?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 09:02:12 +0200

On 2015-04-18, at 04:20, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks. I've had some success with these headers:
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\parsep}{6pt}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\headsep}{0pt}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\topskip}{0pt}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\topmargin}{0pt}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\topsep}{-10pt}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\partopsep}{0pt}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \linespread{0.75}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlist{nolistsep}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\section}{0pt}{1ex}{1ex}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\subsection}{0pt}{1ex}{1ex}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\subsubsection}{0pt}{1ex}{1ex}

Notice that you set up some low-level TeX dimensions, which is probably
not a very good idea.  I would advise not to set manually any dimension
unless you know exactly what you're doing.  For instance, setting
\topskip to 0pt is seldom a good idea.  (You will butcher the
consistency of spacing - more precisely, the top margin will be "wobbly"
then - for no gain in "less spacing".)  For manipulating page-related
dimensions, the "canonical" way nowadays is to use the geometry package.
Also, negative \topsep looks strange, though I'm not knowledgable enough
about LaTeX inner workings to understand everything you do here.

> In fact, the spacing's a little too tight now. I'll have to play with
> the settings some more. Right now, the paragraph spacing between bullet
> items is tighter than the spacing between lines within a paragraph.

No idea why.  You might ask on TeX.SE, or just start with deleting evry
setting you are not sure what it does and see what happens.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University