Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 08:44:21 -1000

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday,  9 Mar 2015 at 07:49, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Do you have a use for the shortcuts?  I doubt I'd use them.
>
> Wouldn't the shortcut be the most attractive to use generally unless you
> have need for the extra capability of the full [cite:] syntax?
>
> The vast majority of my citations, e.g. in a paper I am writing right
> now in org, are of the form [[cite:blah-etal-2010a]] and it would be
> much easier to type @blah-etal-2010a.  I seldom, if ever, have pre or
> post text in my citations.
>
> Or have I misunderstood something in this *very* long thread?  (which I
> have been following as a lurker so far... :)

No, you have it right and clearly have a use for shortcuts.  If you want
to type shortcut citations yourself, then the choice is either to accept
some kind of terminator, e.g. {}, or a restriction that citation keys
not end in punctuation characters.

It's been years since I've actually typed in a citation.  Reftex and
Ebib both do a flawless job and I rely on them completely now.
Shortcuts aren't useful in this work flow.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye