Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 23:17:01 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> I was actually looking at this today and wondering why this was not
> supported.

Not enough specifications.

> I think a citation object should always member of a citations object.  So
> the above would be
>
>    (citations (:begin n :end N :prefix pre :suffix post
>                :citations
>                '((citation (:key k1 :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix pre1))
>                  (citation (:key k2 :begin n2 :end N2 :prefix pre2 :suffix
> post2)))))

OK.

However mixing `citations' and `citation' is confusing. I'd rather keep
the outer one as `citation'. What could go inside? Maybe `cite'?

Moreover,

  [cite:@key]

will be parsed as

  [citation (:begin n :end N
             :whatever '((whatever (:key key :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix pre1))))]

Is that correct?

> This makes it naturally to operate over one many citations.  I don't know
> if this should be some sort of pseudo-object or what.  Also, one issue I
> ran into when trying to get address@hidden; @k2] working was that @k2 is
> recognized
> as an inline citation (which means that I probably did something
> wrong)...

address@hidden; @k2] ?

This is unspecified. address@hidden is a shortcut for [(cite):@k1], nothing
more.
Anything more complicated should go in a [cite:...] object.

> Of course, a quasi-tricky part (I think) is that [cite: pre @key post]
> should be (with no "global" :prefix and :suffix):
>
>    (citations (:begin n :end N
>                :citations
>                '((citation (:key key :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix pre :suffix
> post)))))
>
> Which imply that citations are parsed from "the middle" and outwards.

I don't see any ambiguity here, since semi colons are forbidden in PRE
and POST.

> Nicolas: I wrote a patch for subtypes (with "/" as a separator as most
> people seemed to like that).  Should I post it or will you take care of it
> eventually?  I don't know if you have got a game-plan in mind?

I didn't add subtypes because we didn't reach a consensus on it.
I suggest to wait until everybody realizes subtypes are the superior
choice.

Nicolas Goaziou