[O] What is Babel's relationship with a Lisp REPL? State or stateless?

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: [O] What is Babel's relationship with a Lisp REPL? State or stateless?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 07:54:11 -0500

If I'm creating an org file in a buffer which has source blocks for, say, Lisp, then I can "run" these blocks of Lisp code and Babel will fill in the "answer" just below in my buffer. Good. As advertised. But what is really happening to this code? Does Babel invoke a Lisp REPL once, do the code, print out the results my buffer and go away? Or is this invoked REPL somehow persistent, able to remember what has happened before?

With regular Lisp and SLIME, you have a buffer where you write your code next to a running REPL that handles the code when you ask it to. It keeps "state" and your program grows. But this arrangement is not really literate programming. Maybe good comments are possible, but it's not orgmode literate programming.

But then again, if Babel doesn't support REPL "state," then what am I gaining? Please enlighten me. . . .

LB