Re: [O] on the fragility of export to ODT

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] on the fragility of export to ODT
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:04:52 +0000

On Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 at 14:55, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

[...]

> Apparently `org-odt-inline-image-rules' dismisses pdf files as images.
> What happens if you add PDF extension to the list?

Ah ha!

Adding pdf to the list of extensions (using customize, not editing the
code at this point) enables the exporter to run to completion.  This is
a great step forward as I can now get a document that I can do something
with.

The exporter seems to be collecting the images: they end up in the
actual ODT file.  However, viewing the file in libreoffice shows
placeholders where the images should be but with a "Read-Error"
message.  The captions are there but the images are empty.  I guess that
libreoffice cannot handle PDF images, which probably shouldn't surprise
me...

Now that I know what the problem is, I can see a way forward: all of my
images are created within the org document using babel and I can have an
alternate target of PNG for odt export.

I would imagine that the easiest change in org would be to simply have
an error message telling the user that PDF files cannot be used as
images?

Alternatively, would it be possible to invoke imagemagick to convert PDF
images to PNG as we do with LaTeX snippets?

Thanks for all your help on this,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org
release_8.3beta-843-ga5f1a3.dirty