Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:40:03 +0100

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

>> Biblatex is the gold standard.  Maybe not in input-aesthetics..., but in
>> terms of amenability, usability and output it surely is.  (No, I have
>> nothing to back this up).
>
> Compare the bibtex style, chicago.bst, with biblatex-chicago and note
> how much more closely the biblatex version approximates the Chicago
> Manual of Style.

Before biblatex-chicago, I used to generate my own bst files with
custom-bib.  It was awful 'cause I would often answer questions wrong and
would have to start over...

> Also, biber is required for some biblatex features that bibtex doesn't
> support.  I haven't followed this development and am not sure what they
> are, though.

My understanding is that a major limitation of bibtex was that it didn't
handle sorting of anything more complex than [a-zA-Z].  Bibtex8 extended
this, but you still needed special support, see e.g. dk-bib on CTAN.

Lars Madsen, of "Avoid eqnarray!"-fame (and much else in the TeX-verse),
has an excellent intro in Danish.  If my memory serves me correctly,
earlier β-versions had instructions on how to do hacks to get better
support when writing in Danish.

—Rasmus

--
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi che leggete questo.