Re: [O] pdf images in html export

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] pdf images in html export
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:03:50 -0800

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Andreas Leha wrote:

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Marco,

Marco Wahl <address@hidden> writes:
Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

how would I export an org file containing

  [[file:./myimage.pdf]]

to html so that a say png version myimage.pdf is inlined in the html
which links to the pdf?

[deleted]

Andreas replying:

Thanks for this.  I am aware of how to *produce* graphics in different
formats for different export backends.  I use your first approach,
which I think is the better solution.

Here, I am after a solution, that works on images that are not produced
but merely included via [[file:./some.pdf]].

I think there should be the possibility to include these into html (and
odt) export without any user interaction.  So, I
- do not want to write a source block just to produce the by-backend image
- do not want to change the link manually
- do not want to run the converter manually

I am pretty sure this should be achievable with standard orgmode tools
(like filters, export hooks, or anything).

Since 'this is coming again and again' it seems a non-esoteric task.
And as there is 'no solution out of the box', I assume(d) that somebody has
written these filters already.

What you want is a custom `hyperlink type'.

I don't know if anyone has written this, but the machinery is in `org-add-link-type'. You user would enter (say)

        [[pdf:./some.pdf]]

and clicking on it would open the file (assuming a proper FOLLOW argument) and exporting would handle all the behind the scenes tinkering to create png's or whatever is needed for the backend in question (assuming a suitable EXPORT argument).

The docstring for `org-add-link-type' has details. Also there is a worked example and more instructions at

        (info "(org) Adding hyperlink types")

HTH,

Chuck