Re: [O] How to extract TODOs from date-tree

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] How to extract TODOs from date-tree
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 22:00:52 +0100

On 2014-10-29 15:34, Robert Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Jay Iyer writes:
>
>> If there are use cases out there, it might be worth collecting them and
>> then thinking about how to support them better. If there aren't, maybe
>> it should be thrown out.
>
> It's most definitely useful.  I'm not sure what you think would be
> "better".  I make extensive use of date tree for maintaining various log
> book journals.  I've got various capture templates set up so that the
> two characters: F* <char> take me to the right file and date tree.  I
> type in the note, then C-c C-c takes me back where I had been
> previously.  The template capures the date and time for the note, plus
> other context information per the template.  This creates very nice time
> tagged logs.

I also use datetrees regularly. I have this in my capture templates:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-capture-templates
      (quote
        ("o" "Old Journal" entry (file+datetree+prompt "diary-runx.org")
         "* %i%?")
        ("O" "Old Journal with link" entry (file+datetree+prompt
"diary-runx.org")
         "* %i%?\n%a")
        ("j" "Journal" entry (file+datetree "diary-runx.org")
         "* %?\nEntered on %U\n  %i")
        ("J" "Journal with link" entry (file+datetree "diary-runx.org")
         "* %?\nEntered on %U\n  %i\n  %a")))
#+end_src

Typical usage for a trivial topic: I watch a movie that I like, I write
a quick review in movies.org, I mark the title of the movie, and capture
with 'J'. It gives me an entry with the highlighted title and a link to
the review.

Less trivial usage: as a meeting start, I start a capture with 'j', and
C-u C-c C-c to jump to the diary file where I can take notes.

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7