[O] refiling as child with function-filing-location

From: Per Unneberg
Subject: [O] refiling as child with function-filing-location
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:43:56 +0200

Hi,

I'm writing a custom function for use with a capture template, as
described in the section Template elements (sec 9.1.3.1) of the info
manual. My function does what I expect in that it finds the correct
heading (in my use case "Log") and returns point. However, if the Log
heading has no children, the capture template is filed as a sibling, and
not a child. I have spent some time now on this seemingly simple
problem, but being a newbie on elisp I must admit I'm stuck.

Here's an example outline:

* Projects
** Prj 1
*** Log
*** Tasks
**** Clocked entry

So, the capture template should end up as a child to Log. From what I
could tell by reading the documentation, the capture template is
placed at a given level by the org-paste-subtree function, which in term
is derived from the *visible* headings. If the Log entry already has a
child, capture indeed places the template at the desired level, but how
do I acquire this behaviour if there are no children?

My function currently looks up the clocked entry, ascends to level 2
and looks for Log among the children:

(defun peru/org-capture-project-log nil
  (org-clock-goto)
  (while
      (> (funcall outline-level) 2)
    (org-up-heading-safe))
  (org-goto-first-child)
  (while
      (not (string= (nth 4 (org-heading-components)) "Log"))
    (org-goto-sibling)
    )
  (if (not (string= (nth 4 (org-heading-components)) "Log"))
      (error "No Log entry under current project; please add"))
  ;; From org-paste-subtree:
  ;; if cursor is at beginning of headline, same level used
  (goto-char (point-at-bol))
  ;; Alternatively put at eol; level derived from visible headings
  ;; (goto-char (point-at-eol))
)

I have thought of an alternative tag-based way of grouping my log
entries, but I would still like to understand what I'm missing here.

Cheers,

Per