Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:34:48 +0200

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Given that it is only a matter of presentation, does that mean it could be
>>> changed ?
>>> If yes, I can try to give it a shot.
>>
>> If you mean that a^bc should be equivalent to a^{b}c, then I think it is
>> superior in its current state.
>
> As I understand Fabrice's mail, it's only about display of scripts in
> Org buffers (when org-pretty-entities-include-sub-superscripts is
> non-nil).  So rather than displaying
>
> (+)   \(a^nb^n\)
>
> as
>
>       \(aⁿᵇⁿ\)
>
> it would be displayed as
>
> (*)   \(aⁿbⁿ\)
>
> Of course, it /only/ makes sense to change how it is displayed in
> math-mode, for which (*) is the more accurate depiction of (+).

If we're talking about math mode, then I think no overlay should be
added on them, and let `org-toggle-inline-images' display them
correctly. IOW, \(a^nb^n\) should be displayed as \(a^nb^n\).

It is, IMO, a bug in the current fontification, in which sub/superscript
handling leaks over math snippets.

Nicolas Goaziou