Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:53:30 +0800

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1. Every information should have a single location, not two. Mix sections
>> fast
>> if you detect repetitions. Use links extensively (C-c l) to connect one
>> header
>> with another, specially after you get lost once. Don't bother too much about
>> finding the right place at the first time, you'll eventually reorder or move
>> headers to the correct place.
>
> I'm curious about this. Is this a well-known recommendation/best
> practice? I actually struggle with this a great deal. Often a bit of
> research or testing for a specific project at work is very possibly
> relevant to any number of future projects. So, working in product
> development, I find it hard to decide what the best "single location"
> is, and would love for it to act as though it were in multiple
> locations.

Isn't this what tags are good for, though? Sort of providing a secondary
structure to your information, orthogonal to Org's subtree structure?

> When the current project is done, I'd like to archive everything
> specifically related to it while keeping around the general knowledge
> I've accumulated for use with future efforts.

You could organize a project by subtree, but put generally-useful
research elsewhere, and tag that research by theme. Then give the
project subtree its own tag, but also add tags to the relevant research
themes. Open an Agenda with a "projecttag|themetag" tag search to see
both general research and project-specific stuff.

When the time comes, the project subtree gets archived, but the thematic
stuff stays.

Anyway, I'm sure you've considered all this, just curious what your
thoughts on tags are...