Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 18:32:24 +0200

>> 5. Existing documents are very easy to fix.
>>

>Backwards compatibility is important. It has been broken
>before, for very good reasons, and even though it was done very
>carefully, it still caused many problems (still does).
>So I don't buy the "very easy to fix" part: it will bite somebody
>two minutes before he/she has to make a presentation (or even during the
>presentation - DAMHIKT).

Don't get me wrong, I value backward compatibility.

However, here for the end user the change would amount to something like

 if \[ is not at the beginning of a line, then insert \n before \[
 if \] does not end a line, then insert \n after \]

for the whole document (or something similar). This should obviously
be documented in the release notes where an exact procedure to fix the
document can be detailed (possibly two query-replace expressions).

And if somebody updates just before a presentation and without reading
the release notes, then it's his own fault.

Regards,
Federico