Re: [O] Multi-line links

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Multi-line links
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:28:17 +0200

Hello,

Tobias Getzner <address@hidden> writes:

> My original example also applies to this issue.
>
> [[citet:green1994hybridreasoningmodel,
>   green1994generatingindirectanswers,
>   green1992conversationalimplicaturesindirect]]
>
> Clicking on the first line in the above link, the returned :path will
> be just be «green1994hybridreasoningmodel,», i. e., the :path is
> truncated after the newline. The raw-path will be correct, however,
> i. e., «citet:green1994hybrid…,\ngreen1994generating…,\ngreen1992…».

This is because `org-element-link-parser' uses internally
`org-link-re-with-space3' for analysis.

> According to the syntax spec, newlines should be allowed both in the
> link path and in the description, but I realize the syntax spec is kind
> of after-the-fact.

Actually, it's a mistake in the syntax specifications. No newlines
characters are allowed in paths (see for example `org-non-link-chars')
at the moment.

> Since link paths and descriptions cannot contain square brackets, would
> it be possible to rely just on these to terminate link parsing?

Links are not limited to square bracket syntax. There are also angle
links (e.g., <http://orgmode.org> and plain links: http://orgmode.org).

> If there is some strong reason for a hard-coded limit, would it be
> possible to expose the limit as a user-definable variable, and to fix
> the :path truncation issue?

I don't think there is a strong reason for that limitation.

RFC 3986 (Appendix C) suggests how to handle multi-lines URI. We could
use it to handle such links.

Note that there is more than "org-element.el" to change though (e.g.,
`org-make-link-regexps') and some parts of Org relying only on regexps
to extract the path, may not work properly with such links.

Do you want to work on such a patch?

Nicolas Goaziou