Re: [O] org-weather for openweathermap.org

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] org-weather for openweathermap.org
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:50:33 +0100

Hi Rüdiger,

Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 14 June 2014 15:11:21 Chris Raschl wrote:
>> recently I wanted to add a weather forecast to my org-agenda. I found
>> org-google-weather, but this package is obsolete since 2012, because the
>> API is not available any more. So I wrote my own version which is backed
>> by the openweathermap.org API.
>
> I've written the `weather-metno-el' package.  Which uses the weather data
> from
> met.no (CC licensed).  It supports showing weather data in the org-agenda as
> well.
>
> https://github.com/ruediger/weather-metno-el
>
> Regards,
> Rüdiger

just trying this package.  Also really nice!  Thanks for sharing.

I have a few questions/comments/feature requests, though:

1. Documentation of available targets.
   I wanted to include the wind speed.  Looking at the schema [fn:1] I
   tried 'windspeed' which did not work.  It took some time until I
   found the 'weather-metno--data' variable, which revealed that it
   is 'windSpeed' instead.
   Some table with all the available measurements would be handy.
   | parameter | representation | unit   | example   |
   |-----------+----------------+--------+-----------|
   | windSpeed | name           | string | Svak vind |
2. How can I get a textual representation of the symbol?
   I would like to get (additionally to the symbol) get a textual
   description (like 'partly cloudy').  I did not see an obvious way
   how to get that.
3. Two or three entries per day
   How can I have two (night/day) or better three
   (night/morning/afternoon) entries for each day?  I would like these
   to sum user-defined times.  E.g. night: 20-08, morning: 08-13 and
   afternoon 13:20.  Is that (easily) possible?
4. The org agenda entry does not point to anything.
   It would be cool (I think) if the org agenda entry pointed to a
   *Weather* buffer with detailed information from weather-metno-forecast
5. The Readme for the manual installation could remind the user to put
     (require 'weather-metno)
     (require 'org-weather-metno)
   in the .emacs
6. The documentation of 'org-weather-metno-format' points to
   'weather-query-format' which should
   probably be 'weather-metno-query-format'

Regards,
Andreas

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://api.met.no/weatherapi/locationforecast/1.9/schema