Re: [O] unattractive list spacing in ox-html export

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] unattractive list spacing in ox-html export
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:34:50 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> I disagree, editing CSS shouldn't be required for reasonable default
>> list spacing on HTML export.
>
> You can disagree all you want, that doesn't make the underlying problem go
> away.  The reason for the "unattractive spacing" is that list items, while
> conceptually paragraphs, do not have additional spacing after them so the
> list becomes more compact.  The W3C doesn't really encourage to use lists
> with paragraphs, but if you do (like Org), an explicit paragraph inside a
> list environment either should also not have that spacing or should have it
> at the beginning (in which case the first paragraph must be implicit).

My browser (recent Firefox) *does* place extra spacing around list
elements with paragraphs (with no CSS).  I assume this is standard.  So
regardless of what browsers should do, Org-mode should handle what they
actually do.

> So you'll have to modify the CSS anyway or the lists are still having
> ugly spacing. Your patch only makes it consistently ugly as soon as
> there is a single explicit paragraph needed.

I think consistency here is a win.  Maybe adding another rule to the
Org-mode default CSS would make the situation even better, but
personally I'm happy with the current look.

Thanks,
Eric

--
Eric Schulte