Re: [O] M-<RET> does not work as described in the manual

From: Kevin Van Horn
Subject: Re: [O] M-<RET> does not work as described in the manual
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 23:07:49 +0000

Thank you for your help -- I have been beating my head against this for quite
some time. Putting the cursor at the beginning of the line does in fact work.

I'm going to argue that there is still a problem here, though. Here's what I
read at http://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-editing.html:

"If the command is used at the beginning of a headline, the new headline is
created before the current line."

That doesn't say "beginning of line". I think where my cursor was sitting was
the only reasonable interpretation of "beginning of headline". Furthermore,
there's nothing in that paragraph that tells me to expect the behavior I did
see.

The behavior I encountered is confusing because it is discontinuous -- as
demonstrated in the attached images, if I have the cursor one character into
the heading, then everything after the cursor goes on the lower line and
everything before the cursor goes on the upper line. If I move the cursor one
character to the left then this is suddenly reversed. And if I move the cursor
all the way to the beginning of the line we revert back to the "everything
after the cursor goes on the lower line" behavior.

Kevin S. Van Horn, Ph.D. | Principal Engineer